News24.com | Four people die in two separate fires in Joburg

managed wordpress hosting

Four people have died in fires in Johannesburg.

Four people have died in fires in Johannesburg.

  • Four people have died in two separate fire incidents in Johannesburg.
  • Incidents were reported in Soweto and Weltevredenpark.
  • EMS has urged residents to be cautious when using any heating devices.

Four City of Johannesburg residents died in two separate fire incidents on Thursday.

The City’s Emergency Management Services (EMS) responded to the two fire incidents in Soweto and Weltevredenpark.

“Two adult males lost their lives during a fire incident in Weltevredenpark. The cause is believed to be a gas heater and another one was in Soweto, Emndeni. An elderly couple lost their lives during a fire incident – the cause of the fire is still a subject of investigation,” EMS spokesperson Robert Mulaudzi said in a statement on Thursday.

EMS has urged all residents to be watchful when using heating devices, such as heaters, paraffin stoves, candles, gas heaters and imbaula.

Vulnerable

“[Especially] our residents in our informal settlements since we know they are the most vulnerable communities due to the heating devices they are using on a daily basis – so that we can prevent devastating fire incidents, like the ones we have witnessed this morning,” he added.

Mulaudzi said that EMS will continue with its winter fire safety campaign by using platforms like radio, television, Facebook and Twitter. 

Residents are urged to exercise extreme caution when using any heating devices and to follow these safety tips when using gas heaters:

  • Check that everything is in order, all components are well connected
  • Ensure the gas bottle is secured safely; there are no leaks in the pipes and the regulator is well-maintained
  • Look out for warning of malfunction during use
  • Do not move the heater while in use; this action can result in a gas leak or an explosion
  • Do not place anything over the heater that will cover it or restrict ventilation, resulting in a fire

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *